Next Generation Community Builder 2.0 RC3 Released

9 years 6 months ago #249652 by KatoKalin

krileon wrote: I really don't know what to say to that. With all we've accomplished with CB 2.0 this is rather disheartening to read. We of course have plans to further improve.

No need to get depressed over my comment. But I say as it stands: stackideas.com/easysocial is extremely good looking and at least seems to be very powerful. I believe at this point CB is behind them. The rumors of CB2.0 has been around for 5 years now? And I think Stackideas is younger than that.

I am looking forward to CB2.0 stable but I believe it is late to the party. So even after CB2.0 stable I believe there will be no time to rest to keep up with them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #249657 by beat

KatoKalin wrote: ...
I am looking forward to CB2.0 stable but I believe it is late to the party. So even after CB2.0 stable I believe there will be no time to rest to keep up with them.

Thanks for your point of view, the reasons for which I can understand. It is true that a great look can sometimes give immense hopes about underlying functions.

In my opinion, CB 2.0 RC3's out of the box look is better than anything else I have seen, and Kyle has done an awesome job not only styling it, but doing this in a completely generic and flexible way. For upgrades, to apply new stylings, a visit in Tools menu is required, as we don't want to disrupt existing positions on upgrades ;)

CB remains the most generic and flexible social platform for Joomla. CB 2.0 will be shiny out of the box, and we have put in place all what's needed to continue to improve it as well as its plugins, of which our CB Activity plugin will be receiving a lot of love from our part with high priority. A progress update is prepared and will be posted shortly.

As CB is about to celebrate its 10 years of existence, I would certainly not call it "late to the party" LOL, but that is a personal opinion.

Best Regards,

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #249658 by KatoKalin
Thanks for you input Beat. No not CB is late to the party I am aware of the fact that it is around for long. But CB2.0 with all the new flexibility, better styling is late compared to what Stackideas and Joomsocial have been doing for years already. If I check out my posts mentioning CB 2.0 I can go back to early 2010.

This is what I was trying to say. I am really looking forward to what Kyle said about the future of Groupjive. 3 years and 3 months ago I was asking for something like this: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/238-general-discussion/166570-progress-on-groupjive
This more facebook-like approach of having a central wall instead of seperated ones seemed to me quite logical back then and it is great to hear that you are considering implementing it. But also late.

From this point I believe it is great that CB has some competitors which have like Jomsocial and Easysocial which have gained considerable amount of market share even as they are not free. I see this a bit as a wake up call for CB to act quicker, smoothen things, put more effort into good design and layout as well as ease of use and documentation and implement state of the art community functions. All of that has been lacking a bit.

As said, I hope you will catch up and get CB back to where it belongs.

9 years 6 months ago #249659 by nant
@Katokatlin:

Thank you for your feedback and contributions on all fronts.

Not wishing to publicly debate our commercial strategies or follow your comparisons with other 100% commercial efforts. But, a public reply is needed for others reading this thread that are testing and providing feedback and contributing their time for language translations.

Yes, it is true that our delivery track record is far from what we all would like it to be. No need for further counter-productive repetitions on this front.

Community Builder has always taken the less commercial road and has been relying on a more community driven always GPL based strategy. The project has been continuously giving back to Joomla since Joomla's birth. Our team members are also participating in many Joomla workgroups (security, marketing, bug squad to name a few) and we are contributing as much as we can to support Joomla days worldwide. We have been sponsoring JandBeyond for 4+ years focusing primarily on making the awesome presentations publicly accessible with great quality video recordings.

From a technical point of view, the project is giving great focus to security and quality releases. I do not think Community Builder has ever encountered a security related vulnerability in its almost 10 years of existence. We hope to continue this great track record for many more years to come.

Yes, it is true that we have been relying on third-party designers to make things look good, instead of providing better out of the box presentation eye catching built-in design. The tools and hooks were there, but very few designers took the effort to take advantage of this. CB 2.0 is a huge improvement on this front.

Community Builder has chosen the path of building-up and super-charging the engine before polishing up the exterior. From a commercial point of view this has its cost, but it is a technically sound approach. CB 2.0 has a fantastic XML-based (imo) ground-braking framework API that has now opened the way to get great new features (many of which are long overdue) in the upcoming additional plugin releases.

End of public comment – we are all open to any followup private messages on these points, but we will not be publicly discussing any further comments of this nature on this thread which is focused on CB 2.0 RC3 testing and getting CB 2.0 stable released and FREE for everyone as soon as possible.

Thank you for reading – back to CB 2.0 issues here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: giorgionasis

9 years 6 months ago #249672 by giorgionasis
Replied by giorgionasis on topic Next Generation Community Builder 2.0 RC3 Released
hallo there!

i used "Improved Ajax Login & Register", a very nice module for my users. The login process worked great. After the upgrade i am been redirecting to www.example.com/cblogin/login and i have the error
Error: CB Login module not created (required). Has something been changed?

Before the upgrade surely i have unpublished the cblogin module.

BUT i tried to login with the core login module of cb and i noticed that i have to try 3-4 times to succeed to login.

thank you

Joomla! 2.5.25

9 years 6 months ago #249690 by krileon
Your login module was not using CB API, but was logging in through Joomla. This is bad. CB Core Redirect has moved into core CB and is a part of our Joomla system plugin installed with CB 2.0. This will redirect away from Joomla user pages to relevant CB pages. You can shut this off within Extensions > Plug-in Manager > System - Community Builder, but I don't recommend it as your install is basically out of sync by not using CB login.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn