"Confirm password" language strings problem

14 years 1 month ago #124863 by krunox
Hello everybody.

I had croatian language plugin installed and found that "Confirm password" field-title can not be solved with the usual language edit procedure, as the source probably contains two separate language strings (UE_VERIFY_SOMETHING and _UE_PASS).

In Croatian language that gives me very funny result. I have to change that language string to contain only _UE_VPASS instead of those two.

Where can I edit that?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #124864 by nant
Instructions regarding how to create language plugins are posted here:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,87044/catid,79/

perhaps they might help you answer your question.

14 years 1 month ago #124872 by krunox
No, that isn't what I am looking for.

Please, if you are willing to help - try to understand the question.

I can not get the right result with UE_VERIFY_SOMETHING and _UE_PASS together, in my language that sounds silly, it isn't what it should be (somebody did that Croatian translation without solving that problem, it just ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH). If I change _UE_PASS to suit the "Confirm password" in my language, it isn't appropriate for "Password" only.

To understand this better: "Password" on Croatian is "šifra" or "lozinka". "Confirm password" it has to be "Potvrdi šifru" or "Potvrdi lozinku". Letter "u" on the end of the word instead of "a", as it stands in translation of "Password" only.

So, I MUST use the _UE_VPASS instead.

Where can I change the source?

Post edited by: krunox, at: 2010/02/22 00:25

Post edited by: krunox, at: 2010/02/22 00:30

14 years 1 month ago #124880 by kmilos
Ciao Kruno, I have rasied this issue several times before (same for Serbian obviously, as well as many other languages, not all have the same syntax as English). Although I did get a response, I have not noticed any improvements in CB's strings for a long while.

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,64/id,79044/#79044

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,79/id,87438/#87438

To work around this particular issue you're experiencing, I have translated _UE_VERIFY_SOMETHING as e.g. "%s (potvrda)", might work for you as well...

I must say again that CB's general attitude towards i18n leaves a lot to be desired. :(

Post edited by: kmilos, at: 2010/02/22 02:05

14 years 1 month ago #124881 by krunox
Replied by krunox on topic Re:
kmilos wrote:
To work around this particular issue you're experiencing, I have translated _UE_VERIFY_SOMETHING as e.g. "%s (potvrda)", might work for you as well...
[/quote]

Thanks, kmilos.

That is a kind of half-solution that I had in mind myself, but I was trying to get the better one.

As it seems that you are more familiar with that issue, it looks like I don't have to wait for real thing, because there is no better one.

So I did that change.

For CB developers - on a 1-5 scale, this solution can be rated with 3. So, please, in next releases - change it.

14 years 1 month ago #124959 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:
We fixed this bug #216 for the team plugins.

We also fixed feature #1512 : Add title param to password field types for password verification field because translation of "Verify Password" was difficult due to string substitution

_UE_VERIFY_SOMETHING now only used as default for passwords fields, and can be changed to anything in field params.

This is appart of system password field which now uses _UE_VPASS (and can not be overridden).

Will be in upcoming CB 1.2.2, beta 4 going to test-team and translators in next days.

The other considerations of the other threads linked from here have also been addressed, with specific strings for easier translations.

@ All CB translators, even if you're not sure of available time:

It would save you and us time, if you could contact NIck (nant) by PM to get into the translators workgroup (just find a post of him, and click his small icon at bottom left of his post to private-messsage him with url to this post). There you will be able to review and comment on CB 1.2.2 language file just before upcoming release if there are fixes needed. :)

Looking forward to your help there.

Edited for sake of clarity.

Post edited by: beat, at: 2010/02/22 23:35

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn