Joomla 1.6 functionality?

14 years 1 month ago #124611 by dmoorefus
Joomla 1.6 functionality? was created by dmoorefus
Sooo...perhaps this discussion has occurred elsewhere - forgive me if it has.

What's the thoughts and comments on the next version of Joomla 1.6 that's coming out 'soon' that will support fine grained groups permissions for Joomla content? They've mentioned 1.6 could go into beta at any time with a possible release date of sometime in the spring.

What will GroupJive's niche be once this functionality is supported natively within Joomla?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #125080 by dmoorefus
Replied by dmoorefus on topic Re:Joomla 1.6 functionality?
A week and no answer. That can't be good... :ohmy:

14 years 1 month ago #125100 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Joomla 1.6 functionality?
Joomla 1.6 groups functionality is not Groups as in how GroupJive handles them. They're completely different in the aspect Joomla 1.6 is talking groups as in Registered, Author, Editor, etc...

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #125113 by dmoorefus
Replied by dmoorefus on topic Re:Joomla 1.6 functionality?
You sure about that?

1.6 is going to offer the creation of new groups that allow fine grained authoring and viewing of content based on their group memberships.

See this video for more details:
community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1036-joomla-16-access-control-design-concepts.html

And this document for some use case scenarios.
tinyurl.com/JUseCases

Post edited by: dmoorefus, at: 2010/02/24 16:49

14 years 1 month ago #125214 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Joomla 1.6 functionality?
Yes, please review the video again. Those are Usergroups as in ACL. Not groups as in how GroupJive provides groups; two completely different things. They may both have "Groups" involved but that is the extent of their similarities. B)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #125333 by LittleGreyCat
Replied by LittleGreyCat on topic Re:Joomla 1.6 functionality?
Can I just check, please, for clarity?

[Noting that when I first realised this I had trouble believing that this is the way that Joomla with CB worked or rather, that CB hadn't solved this problem.]

Joomla provides a series of 'permission levels' such as Author, Publisher, Administrator.

However these permission levels are global e.g. a Publisher can publish an Article anywhere within the web site.

Also a user cannot be both 'Publisher' and 'Administrator' - the most powerful role includes the rights of all less powerful roles.

This is horizontal control (i.e. one level of rights across all content).

What many sites want is to provide vertical (also sometimes known as 'stovepipe') control, so that for example users can join a 'cars' group and only they can see the 'cars' section of the website. Within the 'cars' users there still needs to be the administrative role hierarchy (author, publisher etc.) but this role is restricted to the 'cars' group.

Additionally a user should be able to be a member of several groups e.g. 'cars', 'boats', 'planes'.
[It would be nice for them to have different roles for each group, but this is a 'desirable' feature.]

This allows a group to have total content control of one section of the website without having rights over any other section.
This allows the main site administrators to devolve responsibility for day to day content management of individual parts of the site but in a secure manner.

It is my understanding that GroupJive aims to provide this additional functionality - 'stovepipe' control.

It is also my understanding that Joomla! 1.6 is going to extend the roles, but that they will still be 'horizontal' rights and not 'stovepipe' rights.

Is this (at least mainly) correct?

Regards

LGC

Update:
I have managed to slog my way through the video design explanation and it is obvious that 1.6 does offer 'stovepipe' functionality, but the Use Case in the design does not cover one user having multiple roles (e.g. part time office worker/ part time teacher).

The posted Use Cases do seem to cover the complex cases for one person being in multiple roles but I haven't yet established if the design meets the Use Cases.

So - 1.6 seems on the surface to offer something similar to GroupJive (if I understand what GroupJive offers). Granted (as stated twice in the responses) that it doesn't do it in the same way the question is "Does it achieve much the same result?".

What does Group Jive offer in functionality that 1.6 does not?

Post edited by: LittleGreyCat, at: 2010/02/26 15:48

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn