Can't reinstall CB

14 years 7 months ago #108104 by ZombieNRG
Replied by ZombieNRG on topic Re:Can't reinstall CB
Update:
Even after uninstalling deleting all CBSubs mods, bots and plugins. My site is still locked down.

I'm the server Admin so I've also checked my permissions on these directories and files. They are fine.

How Does Folder Access lock things down.
I HAVE TO GET RID OF THIS LOCKOUT!!!!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #108106 by ZombieNRG
That was ridiculous!

I finally tracked down the .htaccess file that created in my image gallery directory. Once deleted I have a site again.

I deleted this from the Plan as soon as I realized what it was doing. However I could Not get it to stop the Restricted Acess drop downs. The ONLY way to get rid of it was to manually delete a .htaccess and password file manually. Which took me hours to figure out how you were locking directories down.

The question is Why did upgrading to CB Subs 1.0.2 Stop Plans from being able to delete these files?

This bug Cost Me BIG TIME!

Seriously - This Plugin needs more documentation!
And a BIG Warning Label! I thought I was granting access to a group. Not Locking Everyone else out of the site.

Post edited by: ZombieNRG, at: 2009/08/15 17:36

14 years 7 months ago #108114 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Can't reinstall CB
CBSubs certainly didn't do this unless you specified the folder in the Folder Protect plugin. As that plugin will create htaccess and password folders to protect a directory as the plugin is described doing as the parameters explain it does as the documentation explains it does.

Please read the documentation carefully. CBSubs certainly does not just go playing htaccess and htpassword files in random locations.

You mention granting access to a group, please elaborate. Group in what? Groupjive? ACL group?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #108153 by ZombieNRG
Pardon the rant yesterday. However, that incident cost me a client. And that stings in this economy.

I was referring to a Group as a group of people signed up for a paid subscription.

On to a couple questions and thoughts.

First: It should be clearly noted in the documentation that Folder/directory protection is handled by a .htaccess file and password file located in the protected folder.
That way people can manually(FTP) delete the "protection" if needed. Accidents happen and you can easily password protect your whole site.

Second: Deleting this folder protection within the "Paid subscriptions" doesn't always delete those files. i.e. I deleted the protection within the Plan, however this did not remove the .htaccess protection.

I seem to be having a lot of my issues due to "things" not deleting. Are there any known issues running CB Subs in a Plesk controlled environment(LAMP stack)? And yes I've checked all file permissions.

Thank you for the help and I'll try to refrain from ranting in the future,
Eric

14 years 7 months ago #108190 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Can't reinstall CB
Information for CBSubs Folder Access is on page 50, where it describes what it does and what platform it works on configuration information can be found on page 142.

CBSubs Folder Access uses htaccess and htpasswrd to protect directories. Deletion of these files are not automatic, if you decide to remove folder protection then you will need to manually delete these files.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #108348 by ZombieNRG
Thanks, krileon.
I read both of those carefully and repeatedly. The Apache requirement was what finally tipped me off the fact you're doing this with a .htaccess file.

My point is simply put the following line into the docs or better yet on the Folder protect tab screen.

"To remove CB Subs folder protection you must delete the .htaccess file from the protected directory."

OR the way you worded it is fine as well. I Wish it was in the docs as that would have been quick and easy.

Otherwise the first person that accidentally types in their domain name is going to have a really bad day.

Cheers

Post edited by: ZombieNRG, at: 2009/08/18 01:08

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds