[SOLVED] Currency Auto-Update Error

14 years 6 months ago #114467 by amazeika
Replied by amazeika on topic Re:Currency Auto-Update Error
tracert over TCP works (port 80), which is actually normal since I'm able the access the www.ecb.int site for which I get I redirection to:

www.ecb.int/home/html/index.en.html

Everything else works, I'm just keep getting this message in the main CBSubs plugin page (payment center):

Currency Auto-Update Error: could not reach www.ecb.int server
Last updated 10/01/2009

How could everything else work but this ?.

Please advice for a solution to the problem.

Arunas Mazeika
WeXtend.com - Professional development for Joomla!.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #114475 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Currency Auto-Update Error
Likely not able to reach the page due to the redirects, disable to redirects in htaccess (or from host panel) and see if resolved.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 6 months ago #114494 by amazeika
Hi krileon,

No, it's very unlikely since I'm not querying myself, I'm querying a remote host that apparently is not responding to the request. I just did the test though and I still get the error message.

In my CBSubs test site everything is OK, same Apache config, same server.

Arunas Mazeika

14 years 6 months ago #114495 by amazeika
Ok, I got the problem solved. It was the Snoopy config once again.

Remember that I recently had a problem with the URL plugin because of some rewrite rules that I make in order to force SSL over my site.

I made a change you suggested on the port being used by Snoopy in order to use the SSL port instead of the default port 80. Well that change I made ($port = 80 → 443), which actually didn't solve the problem last time since Snoopy makes use of curl for https requests which actually gets the port directly from URL (he don't use the variable $port), was causing the problem. The port parameter in the Snoopy config is the port used for non-secured connections only. Since you use Snoopy for updating the currency exchange rates as well, Snoopy was trying to use port 443 to connect to www.ecb.int, instead of 80.

Again, this kind of info should be published somewhere, I've been doing tests for 2 hours now and I'm happy that I've found the answer, but I spent 2 hours doing so. You should mention that you use Snoopy for this kind of operations, so that the system admin knows what he needs to modify in order to prevent this kind of problems in the future.

In one of my last threads I gave you some precious info about how to correctly configure Snoopy if SSL is forced from Apache, since Snoopy makes use of curl for https requests. The default Snoopy configuration is wrong on Debian systems (mine) since it points to a incorrect curl path by default.

Arunas

Post edited by: amazeika, at: 2009/10/19 11:14

Post edited by: amazeika, at: 2009/10/19 16:47

Arunas Mazeika

14 years 6 months ago #114508 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Currency Auto-Update Error
I apologize for this inconvenience, but you must also understand we can't develop CBSubs to fit every and all system configurations. This would be literally impossible. The default configuration will fit 90% or more user scenarios, yours being one of the exceptions. Changes will need to be made on your part to meet the necessary requirements of CBSubs (which you've made).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 6 months ago #114514 by amazeika
No need to apologize krileon, I understand :), what I'm asking is that you talk about this somewhere, in the doc perhaps ...

I'm not 10% of cases :P , unless the great majority of your customers don't use SSL. Read carefully what I'm suggesting since people with a standard configuration that force SSL (BTW Joomla has this option in the configuration options) or only provide a Virtual Host for the secured port will have problems with Snoopy (which apparently you use a lot) if they are not lucky enough to have the right path for curl in the Snoopy class file.

They should also be careful to not modify the $port variable.

I'm just trying to help ;).

Arunas Mazeika

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn