Filter author articles based on user fields?

13 years 10 months ago #132017 by Inprogress
Hello all at Community Builder.

I'm now, after two months of testing CCK's, trying to find a work around to my problems, so I'm here.

MightyExtensions allows me this function, but then it doesn't allow me another function which I need, where, again I will have to use a work around with them. In other words, MightyExtensions does most of the job, but not all of it will be the way I want it, so it feels a bit wrong to pay then, unless CB can't help in conjunction with jSeBlod.

I need to be able to filter article, or let me rather refer to content items. I need to be able to filter content items within a category using user fields, some which are custom fields, actually all three are custom fields come to think of it. (btw, there isn't a searchable setting for them in the back-end, text fields, how is this?)

This is essentially the work around. I could go and use Resources and just have the users enter there location fields everytime they publish and article, or I could use CB (if possible). I want the three filters to be visible at the top of the category display page. It could be either a filter select box, or merely a menu item. When used, it will return all the articles based on the user field filter.

So, let me explain with an example. I have hundreds of content items in a few categories from various and numerous users who play golf. Each content item is about a golf tip, a lesson, a review, you name it, and categorised. I navigate to the golf gear review. I have a list of content items. Top of the page is three field filters. (in the back end, those field values where captured during user registration). I can now filter either on one field, two, or all three; to get the content items I want based on the filters. Lets say I can filter via user Age, Town, and Area, just as an example.

This is the crux of my problem, the bit I can't get solved with any of the CCKs. (jSeblod is actually working on this for their new version).

My only other way of doing this is by having the users enter those three, what is rightfully user info, into each content item they publish everytime they publish. Its a work around that could work, but its not very elegant is it.

The other reason I am trying out CB is because of the Profile need I have, plus part of it, all articles published by the user. I need a list to display all content items published by the user (again MightyExtension provides this). Plus a user can ONLY edit his own content items. jSeblod came close to being my solution, but they also don't have a User Profile Page function yet :dry:

I am pretty sorted with MightyResources except for the problem I explained above. It just feels a bit wrong for me to pay 150EURO for an extension package that doesn't do everything that I need.

Any help from those of you that know CB?

Thanks for your help, and I'm sorry if this has been answered already somewhere else, and that my first post is so long. Oh and me mentioning the other extension is just for reference, not trying to say CB is useless or not up to scratch. Just reference to my trails :silly:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #132033 by krileon
Sorry, CB provides no such feature. While it will handle the user data and such it adds no such sorting feature to content articles; you'd need to write a Joomla Content plugin to add such a feature where CB API can be loaded in order to grab a users information.

jSeblod is actually working on this for their new version

If your existing extension is already adding such a feature, why not wait for that? Is it absolute priority to have such a feature immediately?

I am pretty sorted with MightyResources except for the problem I explained above. It just feels a bit wrong for me to pay 150EURO for an extension package that doesn't do everything that I need.

This is often the case, software is developed with majority in mind; such use case does not sound like a majority need thus never registered on their "feature" scale. Perhaps mentioning your needs could give further insight to their team.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 10 months ago #132046 by Inprogress
Replied by Inprogress on topic Re:Filter author articles based on user fields?
Hey there krileon.

Thanks so much for your reply, even if it means a little bit of unfortunate that the reply isn't exactly what I was looking for ;)

As far as I know the jSeBlod team is waiting for the Joomla 1.6 release so that they can take advantage of the ACL of 1.6; and as many know, Joomla has moved the 1.6 release date a few times now. I was even waiting a bit for it until I saw the "End of April" then became "end of June".

Seems I will just have to settle for the user completing the three field values everytime they publish and article...for now at least. I will now just have to see what will allow me the easies way of doing this. SOBI I think is out cause I now remember that I either have to make clones (which could be 10 or more) or use MET and I struggled to get that going quite a bit. Think it leaves me with Form2Content, MightyExtensions, and jSeBlod.

Thanks for the reply again, pity CB wont be usable this time round, looks quite cool.

All the best to everyone at CB. Maybe in the future. B)

13 years 10 months ago #132047 by Inprogress
Replied by Inprogress on topic Re:Filter author articles based on user fields?
Might get around it by using tabs for now. Just a tought for those interested. Preselected tabs. I think jSeBlod allows me this function.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn