[SOLVED] CB123 Edit Profile without Email

13 years 4 months ago #146676 by laser558
I have searched but cannot find an answer to this.

I want to be able to allow Registered Users to update displayed fields in their profile, but not their email address, as this updates jos_users.

I cannot find any way to prevent this as without getting an error message to "please enter a valid email address" unless an email address is entered.

As there doesn't appear to be a user friendly Admin setting in configuration can someone please point me to the code that needs changing.

Thanks in anticipation.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/24 19:20

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #146778 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB123 Edit Profile without Email

I want to be able to allow Registered Users to update displayed fields in their profile, but not their email address, as this updates jos_users.

Set the email field as read only.

I cannot find any way to prevent this as without getting an error message to "please enter a valid email address" unless an email address is entered.

Everytime a user edits their profile they have to provide email? This shouldn't be happening. Please see help us help you within my signature for debug procedures. Seams like some sort of conflict is happening.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 4 months ago #146791 by laser558
Replied by laser558 on topic Re:CB123 Edit Profile without Email
Many thanks for reply.

The problem was occurring even with email field set to read only.

The email field was not being populated in profile, even with an email in jos_users. Then if the user changed details in other fields they couldn't save updates without entering an email address (which of course was read only).

If I didn't set the email field to read only then of course anything typed into the field was then saved to jos_users.

I have resolved it by including email in jos_comprofiler and changing the code to fetch the email details from there (read only). So this achieves the objective; on update the same email is saved to jos_users and it cannot be changed by users.

13 years 4 months ago #146853 by laser558
Sorry, I thought I had sorted this and understood what is going on with email addresses. Not so.

I restored my code changes to original to try and find why my installation doesn't seem to work as expected.

Some q's :-

1) When email is displayed in profile/edit profile why is it populated from jos_comprofiler and why does it then save to jos_users? How can I set it to read and write to either jos_comprofiler or jos_users (or even write to both)?

2) Where can I find the "Help us Help You" for debug procedures on this site?

Thanks

13 years 4 months ago #146870 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB123 Edit Profile without Email

1) When email is displayed in profile/edit profile why is it populated from jos_comprofiler and why does it then save to jos_users? How can I set it to read and write to either jos_comprofiler or jos_users (or even write to both)?

The email field is from _users, it is not stored in _comprofiler. Seams there's a 3rd party conflict or possibly something wrong with your database. Have you ran all CB tools to ensure users are in synchronized and that there is no database issues (that CB can find).

2) Where can I find the "Help us Help You" for debug procedures on this site?

Please see my signature (at the bottom of every one of my posts).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 4 months ago #146923 by laser558
Files synchronised and database clean using CB tools.

The displayed email address in Profile/Edit Profile is definitely being populated from jos_comprofiler.

I have tested on both a production site and test site (which has a different set of 3rd party extensions) and in both case the email address viewable in Profile/Edit Profile is from jos_comprofiler but gets written to jos_users. So is this a bug?

It would be useful if you could say which file/s is/are controlling this field in the profile then I can look further into it.

Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn