[SOLVED] Check users times out on large user base

13 years 4 months ago #147101 by sfraise
I have an older site with close to 150,000 registered members. When I run the check users tool it just times out.

I've been having trouble with something running away with my cpu resources and one of the things I want to do is run the check users tool from the admin back end. I also have a lot of debugging to do as well but want to run the check users to clean up any simple issues I might have there.

I can't seem to get any good results when searching the forum on this, just find stuff on mixed collation stuff or those mr300k results that seems to come up with every search I do lol.

Is there any way to run this tool outside of the browser or some way to get around the timeout that anyone knows of off hand? Maybe some setting I can temporarily tweak to get around the time out limit until the check finishes?

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/30 14:35

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #147169 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Check users times out on large user base
You'll need to increase your PHP memory limit and timeout time. That's a lot of users to be checking at once so it's going to be a heavy check. There's no alternative way to check the users.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #147185 by sfraise
Replied by sfraise on topic Re:Check users times out on large user base
Thanks again Krileon, you should get some type of super cb medal or something for cb man of the year for all the time you put in here lol.

I figured as much, what exactly is the tool checking against, do you have or know if anyone else may have the actual queries it's doing or what exactly it's looking for? No biggie, just thought maybe I could do something from phpmyadmin or ssh or something.

I've trimmed about 25,000 users out of it to try and slim it down, people that registered but for one reason or another never actually logged in, and all of the members that haven't been active prior to 1/1/09.

I'm fairly confident that I have some issues in there as my performance has really suffered since upgrading from j1.0 to 1.5 several months ago and have noticed that once in a while I get double menu icons in the admin section so I'll have to figure something out on it when I get time.

Another thing I have to fix when I can find the time is to go through and clean everything up script wise. I'm actually still running legacy in order to keep running a couple of things that aren't 1.5 naitive, there's 4 legacy queries at the moment and even though it's not a lot I'm sure it doesn't help matters any.

Post edited by: sfraise, at: 2010/11/29 17:44

13 years 3 months ago #147203 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Check users times out on large user base

I figured as much, what exactly is the tool checking against, do you have or know if anyone else may have the actual queries it's doing or what exactly it's looking for? No biggie, just thought maybe I could do something from phpmyadmin or ssh or something.

Series of API is fired to check that users are present and valid. Helps prevent duplicate users, non-existent users, etc...

I'm fairly confident that I have some issues in there as my performance has really suffered since upgrading from j1.0 to 1.5 several months ago and have noticed that once in a while I get double menu icons in the admin section so I'll have to figure something out on it when I get time.

J1.5.x is actually slower then J1.0.x, believe J1.6.x is to be faster then both though. I don't recommend J1.6.x currently though as we've just basic support for it in CB 1.3.

Another thing I have to fix when I can find the time is to go through and clean everything up script wise. I'm actually still running legacy in order to keep running a couple of things that aren't 1.5 naitive, there's 4 legacy queries at the moment and even though it's not a lot I'm sure it doesn't help matters any.

Legacy will slow the site a good chunk as well as essentially you're loading 2 libraries side by side to support the J1.0.x extensions.

If possible you could just increase memory limits and timeout time to help avoid the scripts from timing out. Of course is not a permanent solution, but should with some tweaking at least allow users checking to be performed. You may need a higher hosting package too to meet the demand of that many users, quite a feet to have that many registered (hopefully active too)!

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #147228 by sfraise
Replied by sfraise on topic Re:Check users times out on large user base
Thanks again Krileon, it's a little more serious than a simple bump up in settings, I have some queries going wild here I think and running my cpu load on my quad core 8gb ram machine up as high as 75 and even higher at times. But then it will run ok for a few hours then go haywire again, and no real relevance to traffic loads.

Any way no worries, just thought I'd see if there was something I could try to run the db check, but I'm planning on just rebuilding the site from the ground up when I can find some time anyway to make sure everything is clean and 1.5 native.

Thanks again for all the help.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn