Language plugin changes in J1.6

13 years 2 months ago #154414 by Bingmannen
Language plugin changes in J1.6 was created by Bingmannen
Hey,

Congratulations on the 1.4 release, and thank you for making this amazing software!

I noticed this statement in the manual: "New language plugin format to support Joomla 1.6.0 language changes".

This is probably why the 1.3.1 language plugin won't work on CB1.4/J1.6.

So, my question is: Is it possible to use the 1.3.1 language file on CB1.4/J1.6 without actually installing a plugin? Just by ftp'ing the lang files to the site?

Or, can a person with low coding skills (like myself) make the necessary changes in the lang files to make it work on CB1.4/J1.6?

Thx in advance:)

It seems common sense is not that common after all...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #154416 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Language plugin changes in J1.6
Backwards support is provided. Old language plugins should work perfectly fine, but may not work on Joomla 1.6.

So, my question is: Is it possible to use the 1.3.1 language file on CB1.4/J1.6 without actually installing a plugin? Just by ftp'ing the lang files to the site?

Yes, language files are just file_exists checks, they do not need to actually be installed but I recommend them being installable plugins. CB 1.3.1 language plugins will still install on CB 1.4 and Joomla 1.6.

Or, can a person with low coding skills (like myself) make the necessary changes in the lang files to make it work on CB1.4/J1.6?

This too is possible. For example instead of "english" in folder and file names you'd use "en-GB" instead.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #154426 by Bingmannen
Replied by Bingmannen on topic Re: Language plugin changes in J1.6
Thanks for your quick reply. :)

CB 1.3.1 language plugins will still install on CB 1.4 and Joomla 1.6.

Yes, the plugin did install with no hassles. I've also triple checked that it's published, and I've even reordered the lang plugins so it appears before English in the list. But nothing is shown in my language (Norwegian). Could there be any setting I am missing?

13 years 2 months ago #154428 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Language plugin changes in J1.6

Yes, the plugin did install with no hassles. I've also triple checked that it's published, and I've even reordered the lang plugins so it appears before English in the list. But nothing is shown in my language (Norwegian). Could there be any setting I am missing?

Please re-read my previous post explaining that it may not work at that you'll need to make changes to the plugin.

The reason it may not work is previous usage was based off the backwards lang string, which Joomla 1.6 no longer has. So we try to format such a string from the language name, which could be translated from english and thus never match.

We've implemented language tag support such as en-GB for english or ru-RU for russian. The language plugin must be designed to use this tag usage or in Joomla 1.6 the language plugin MAY fail IF the language name is NOT in english for example if the name is Россию instead of Russian then the language plugin will NOT load and the plugin would need to be designed to use ru-RU instead.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #154430 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Language plugin changes in J1.6
Our CB Language project forge area is here:
forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/lan-cb?jump=welcome

Our CB Languages forum area is here:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/162-languages

It would really help to know what language you are looking for ...

Language creation instructions for CB 1.4/ J1.6 are here:
forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/lan-cb/wiki

13 years 2 months ago #154486 by Bingmannen
Replied by Bingmannen on topic Re: Language plugin changes in J1.6

It would really help to know what language you are looking for ...

It's the Norwegian language plugin for 1.3.1. I did write that in the second post, but of course, I should have written it in the first post. :)

I found a different topic describing the same problem:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/148-cb-131-language-plugins/150621-solved-change-language-in-cb-using-joomla-16

The fix in the other topic was to change this in the (in this case) dutch language file, nl-NL.xml:

<metadata>
<name>Dutch (The Netherlands)</name>
</metadata>

into this:

<metadata>
<name>dutch</name>
</metadata>

A Spanish user posts that this worked for him too with the Spanish language.

But that was not the issue for me. My xml file was already like this:

<metadata>
<name>norwegian</name>
</metadata>

So, about this:

We've implemented language tag support such as en-GB for english or ru-RU for russian. The language plugin must be designed to use this tag usage or in Joomla 1.6 the language plugin MAY fail IF the language name is NOT in english for example if the name is Россию instead of Russian then the language plugin will NOT load and the plugin would need to be designed to use ru-RU instead.

As far as I can tell, my language was named "norwegian" everywhere, I haven't found any translations that could break it like you describe.

For example instead of "english" in folder and file names you'd use "en-GB" instead.

I've changed all instances of "norwegian" to "nb-NO", but it still doesn't work.

I installed the 1.3.1 plugin first, and then made the changes via FTP. Will it be any different if I make the changes locally on my computer, repack it and reinstall it?

Feeling kind of lost here... Hope I'm not just being stupid. :blink:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn