Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[#4322] Username problem

• billco
  • billco
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #236427 by billco
[#4322] Username problem was created by billco
Hi,

I have just migrated CB and CBsubs from a joomla 1.5 site to joomla 2.5.

Previously, when a user registered, they filled in their name and it automatically used that as the username as well.

Now after the move to J2.5, a user trying to register gets this message

"Please enter a valid username. No spaces, at least 2 characters and must not contain the following characters: < > \ " ' &#37; ; ( ) &"

On the "username" field in Field Management, I have set the validation to "Multiple words with spaces" but it makes no difference. In fact, the set message for "Error in case of invalid input:" is "Not a valid input" (i.e. different from above), which makes me think the username it is trying to set is some other field not shown on the Field Management. But where is it?

Can you help please?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• billco
  • billco
10 years 6 months ago #236429 by billco
Replied by billco on topic Username problem
Also, I just discovered, in admin - User Management, the username field for existing users shows identical to Name in format "Firstname Lastname" (as expected) but when I try to make any changes I get the same

"Please enter a valid username. No spaces, at least 2 characters and must not contain the following characters: < > \ " ' &#37; ; ( ) &"

It did not do that before. And I have set the username validation to every option possible, but it ignores it!

• krileon
  • krileon
10 years 6 months ago #236445 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Username problem
That looks like a Joomla error being thrown from Joomlas user store function. I guess they don't allow spaces anymore in usernames. I don't think Joomla has a way of turning this off, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• billco
  • billco
10 years 6 months ago #236446 by billco
Really?

It's kinda crippled my whole CB installation since we cannot accept any new users and we cannot edit any existing user details, and when, in CBsubs a user expires, they are not blocked, presumably because CBsubs is not able to edit their membership details either (I am not able to block a user even manually, unless I first remove the space from their username).

Is there anything, a workaround, that you can suggest?

• billco
  • billco
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #236484 by billco
OK, I am trying a workaround - that is to publish the username field at registration so new registrants can specify a username (with no space) which is different from their Name (as entered in the Name field). All's good so far - can now get new registrants.

However, I have also published the Username field to the user's profile edit, so existing users can edit change their username if they want. Trouble is it shows up as uneditable (even though "User Read Only?:" is set to OFF).

How do I get the username field to be editable by the user?

The "Username" is shown on the Edit Profile page, but it is not in a text box, and not greyed out, but nonetheless, uneditable.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by billco.

• billco
  • billco
10 years 6 months ago #236488 by billco
OK, I found the setting in CB Configuration Manager

Moderators: beatnantkrileon