Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Auto-generate username in Joomla 3.2

10 years 6 months ago #237193 by firstlight
Auto-generate username in Joomla 3.2 was created by firstlight
I recently upgraded a site from Joomla 3.1.5 to 3.2 and CB from 1.8 to 1.9.1. Everything went great (including applying the strong password fix) with the exception of the auto-generate username option.

In the past, we let the CB registration process create the username and hid that field during registration. Now, since Joomla no longer likes names with spaces, we are getting the dreaded:
Please enter a valid username. No spaces, at least 2 characters and must not contain the following ... (see similar post here: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/154-advanced-members-support/223358-4322-username-problem )

A quick fix is to let users pick the username again, but that is not a long-term solution for us. Instead of using the name (with spaces) as the username for the site, is there a way to just have CB generate a unique random username (i.e. auto-increment) or utilize the email address as the username instead?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #237202 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Auto-generate username in Joomla 3.2
This is a known issue fixed in CB 1.10. Spaces will be replace with _ in 1.10 to avoid Joomla rejecting it. CB 1.10 will also let you specify whatever field you'd like for username fallback (so it's not forced to name, you could use Email for example). For now you'll need to enable Username field usage again.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by krileon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: firstlight

10 years 6 months ago #237204 by firstlight
Replied by firstlight on topic Auto-generate username in Joomla 3.2
Thanks. That's good news, I think. 1.9.1 *just* came out, so when will 1.10 be out?

In the meantime does anyone know of any hacks to get spaces to be replaced with the underscore?

• krileon
  • krileon
10 years 6 months ago #237208 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Auto-generate username in Joomla 3.2

Thanks. That's good news, I think. 1.9.1 *just* came out, so when will 1.10 be out?

1.9.1 was released purely so CB would work with J3.2 buggy password changes. 1.10 is scheduled for end of this month to go into Beta.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon