Prorated Membership - Vital

12 years 5 months ago #177902 by aguaw
Prorated Membership - Vital was created by aguaw
I wish for Prorated membership on plans... to me this is a huge oversight not including this already.

If you have a Club with membership subscriptions, then you want to bill on one set day, not at random days throughout the period.

In addition, if you are doing yearly memberships which expire on a set date... who is going to join in the second half of the year

It is essential for cash flow management.

All my offline membership clubs which have subscription day

Most hosting companies work like this, along with most of your household billing companies + more.

Willing to discuss if needed
The following user(s) said Thank You: cityclubco

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 4 months ago #180156 by cityclubco
Replied by cityclubco on topic Re: Prorated Membership - Vital
I second this! We are a membership org and have just determined to move all renewals to Jan 1 with initial membership prorated (in 12 steps) throughout the year. As aguaw states, this is typical of membership organizations and I think would be significantly beneficial to many clients and prospects!

Now, unless you have a better solution, I am going to have to manually change membership pricing each month. Ouch!

12 years 4 months ago #180167 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re: Prorated Membership - Vital
Hi cityclubco,
Hi aguaw,

What are your exact scenarios ?

Most sports clubs I have seen is that if someone joins during a year, has to pay the yearly fee of the current year, except if it's in December where he pays fee of next year and enjoys "free" bonus membership in December. Oh, and I saw one that charges half fee after July 1st.

So somebody joining on December 31st pays 1/365th for the current year, that's 0.19$ if your membership is 70$ for the whole year ? Most payment providers charge more than 0.30$ base fee, some will refuse micro-amounts.

Or is it decremented by passed month ?

Pro-rating current period looks easy as long as we don't look into details ;)

So I would like to hear real scenarios, different than those i have seen around me. I never saw a club starting to pro-rate down to the day for the current year, as it's too much manual work. ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

12 years 4 months ago #180433 by aguaw
Replied by aguaw on topic Re: Prorated Membership - Vital
Hey beat

My club have looked at 2 ways of Prorating:

A) Quarterly Prorating:
1-3 months - Full price
4-6 months - 75% price
7-9 months - 50% price
10-12 months - 25% price (OR Full price + 25% price for 15 months)

B) Monthly Proating <-- This is the one we are using
Each month is prorated using Full price/months left in the year - so,

Full price = 120
11 months = 110
10 months = 100
9 months = 90
etc.

They also considered using scenario A with 10-12 months charged at Full price with last months free (so pay for 12months - get 15) - but we realised that they would lose money :)

The reason for Prorating this way is to have one day per year when all membership fees are processed as the club is run by volunteers who don't always have the time to process random payments throughout the year. This way they always have a working capital to run the club... and pay me :)

Hope that helps

12 years 4 months ago #180795 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re: Prorated Membership - Vital
Thanks, added that spec to our pending feature-request #1307, due for a future not too far away CBSubs release.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguaw

12 years 4 months ago #180847 by aguaw
Replied by aguaw on topic Re: Prorated Membership - Vital
Thanks beat

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds