[#2784] Suggestion - icon link back from Forum

13 years 4 days ago - 12 years 6 months ago #158648 by nilsy
Just a thought...
How about creating an icon link in the Group Forums, that takes you back to the Group again?

At the moment, when you write a Forum message, you have to go through the normal way to get back to the Group you are writing in.
Would be smarter with a button that just links you back?
Hehe, or am I missing something?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 days ago #158712 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Suggestion - icon link back from Forum
There's no way to provide a link back to the group, sorry. Have looked at every angle from adding link to description to adding banner at top of page, etc.. Given Kunenas current state (no API available for it) it can't be done with current releases. With release of Kunena 2.0 the forums will be rendered directly inside the group assuming the proposed API functions correctly.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177009 by drdehart
Replied by drdehart on topic Re: Suggestion - icon link back from Forum
We create such a link in our custom GJ plug-in (see attached) by passing a parameter through the url (like &gj=1) and using the browser history to keep track of the groupID. Works fine as long as we have a native url (not re-written).

I would hate to wait for k2.0 to solve this problem - we are getting a lot of complaints from users about how difficult it is to get back to their groups.
Attachments:

12 years 6 months ago #177157 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Suggestion - icon link back from Forum
Created a feature ticket to re-review possible implementation. I've done this 3 times now and 3 times concluded it could not be done cleanly. This will likely result in the same conclusion. Please take off some of the pressure on my end because I can't account for what Kunena is and is not capable of. I understand their security implements to prevent this however.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2784

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177167 by drdehart
I would propose not touching the kunena side and just adding the parameter through the GJ plug-in and then creating a module that we can publish anywhere on the site (like right above the Kunena forum) containing the Back-to-Group button. (I'm not a coder, though, so excuse me if I am missing something).

12 years 6 months ago #177178 by krileon
I'm not altering URLs by adding a parameter, that's not reliable and most SEF just carelessly strip them. Including if a user makes a post the URL will of course no longer be the same or if they change pages. It would need to be done through API to alter the display of the forum category. I'm sorry, but we can't implement half reliable maybe working features.. it has the work.. or not be there at all. ;)

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn