'Read Me' clarification please

17 years 11 months ago #13736 by t17169
'Read Me' clarification please was created by t17169
I want to upgrade from 1.0RC2 to 1.0 stable. Am using Joomla 1.0.8. I'm not quite clear and definitely afraid of what can go wrong in an upgrade and wondered if you could help clarify some language in READ ME for me.

(____my comment or question; >>>quoting from Read me)

____First, re plugin language:

>>>IMPORTANT - If you are upgrading from 1.0 RC 2, You should have all Community Builder plugin installers that you installed before at hand. DO NOT uninstall from RC2 plugins that you want to keep after upgrade.

___qUESTION: Does 'at hand' mean the add ons to install post upgrade or via ftp from
/public_html/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/

___Again here re plugins:

>>>3) Install comprofiler.zip as a component.
NOTE: You will have to uninstall the previous Community Builder version first.
NOTE: Don't uninstall CB plugins (this will keep their parameters).

___However, here:

>>>14) Install additional plugins that you had before upgrading or check out additional plugins available at www.joomlapolis.com
NOTE: plugins which have their parameters memorized by CB, but have missing program files are displayed in plugin list without clickable title-name, and with a barred plugin name. These will be displayed normally and usable again once
plugin is installed again. If you don't wish to do so, you
can delete the plugin parameters by selecting delete.

____Does this essentially mean that it should be okay because we were not supposed to uninstall plugins during an upgrade, but in the event something went awry, just re-install?

Could this also be accomplished by simply manually uploading the entire /public_html/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/ directory?

____Second:

>>>2) If upgrading from any previous version you may want to make a copy of your configuration file:
administrator/components/com_comprofiler/ue_config.php
and of your language file and/or cb template if you modified them.

___Would this modification include profile tags or simply customized templates for profile?

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 11 months ago #13743 by stevebor1
Replied by stevebor1 on topic Re:'Read Me' clarification please
1. you wont lose any data from plugins, use just need to reinstall the plugin to make active.

2. at hand, meaing the files are on your computer, ready for intall

3. unistall old CB from - installers - componants,
intall new CB stable

4. after installing new CB, install your plugins that you had previously installed with CB RC2. you will notice they are grey'd out untill you intall them again.

5. You will have to reinstall all custom plugins again, no matter what. just intall via the CB plugin installer

6 you need to backup only what is says in the readm me. config, templates, languages. anything you made modifications to. All data, like fields are stored in the DB and dont need to be backed up.

7. if you are still freaked out, it's always best to do a full backup of files and DB's.

Karma Me Up!
File Attachment:

FITcommunity
Joomla! 1.0.12 - Community Builder 1.0.2 - Joomlaboard 1.1.2
Own Mods Featured Profile Mod
My Real Day Job
File Attachment:

Mobile Wallet and Social Lending, Anywhere!

17 years 11 months ago #13759 by t17169
Replied by t17169 on topic Re:'Read Me' clarification please
stevebor1 wrote:

3. unistall old CB from - installers - componants,
intall new CB stable

7. if you are still freaked out, it's always best to do a full backup of files and DB's.

Thanks Steve. So, I'm ready to do this with read me in one window and your post in another and yes, I do have a full back up, however...

Uninstall old CB from installers? This is not done with 'uninstall' from Joomla admin? Should I be looking somewhere else with ftp?

On a test site, seems like I couldn't use the joomla uninstall and had to go manual. Does cb log in and any user menu items prevent the uninstall? Should I delete mods before com?

Trying to gear up to take the plunge. May seem simple to most, but it's a little scary from here. New installs, no problem, but this is my first upgrade. Be gentle.

Post edited by: t17169, at: 2006/05/24 01:54

17 years 11 months ago #13766 by stevebor1
Replied by stevebor1 on topic Re:'Read Me' clarification please
unistall through joomla's installer.

Nothing interferes with the unistall/install process.

you will have to unistall your cbloginrc2 also before you install the new cblogin.

Make sure on your menu items you either update your item ID # or just delete your old menu item and create a brand new one.

Good luck pal!! It' really smooth :) but unlike me, i totally forgot to backup my custom CB template -DoH!

Karma Me Up!
File Attachment:

FITcommunity
Joomla! 1.0.12 - Community Builder 1.0.2 - Joomlaboard 1.1.2
Own Mods Featured Profile Mod
My Real Day Job
File Attachment:

Mobile Wallet and Social Lending, Anywhere!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn