Login Module Fails CSS Validation

17 years 6 months ago #21137 by mwstahl11706z
Login Module Fails CSS Validation was created by mwstahl11706z
The jigsaw validator at W3C spits out the following error when I publish the community builder login. If I disable the CB login module and go back to the standard joomla login, the error disappears. I'd much prefer to use CB's variant, but would like to find out why this is occurring.

Errors
Line: 186
Property align doesn't exist : center

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 6 months ago #21244 by mwstahl11706z
Replied by mwstahl11706z on topic Re:Login Module Fails CSS Validation
Doesn't anyone have any input to this? The source of the problem would appear to be the use of the deprecated "align" tag. It would seem to fly in the face of logic to purchase and install a CSS/XHTML compliant template and blow it on the user's homepage by publishing a non-compliant login module as popular as community builder. I'd think that correction would be a high priority for this community.

17 years 6 months ago #21337 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Login Module Fails CSS Validation
CB login module CSS styling has been designed 18 months back, and its layout had to fit:

- IE 4.0
- IE 5.0
- IE 5.5
- Firefox 1.0
- Safari 1.x
- Opera 7

and a few more.

this align was a compromise at that time.

You, or anyone in the community, are welcome to contribute a fix in the module code, and to test that the appearance is same cross-browser in at least:

- IE 6
- IE 7
- Firefox 1.5.7
- Safari 1.3
- Safari 2.0
- Opera (latest)

while being validator.w3.org compliant.

I subscribed this thread, so simply post fix + test results here. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 6 months ago #21355 by beat
Ok. found problem. There is one line:

[code:1] if (!$horizontal) echo '<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="align:center" class="mod_login'.$class_sfx.'">'."\n"
[/code:1]

which should be:

[code:1] if (!$horizontal) echo '<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="mod_login'.$class_sfx.'">'."\n"
[/code:1]

will be fixed in next version. No impact on presentation.

Thanks for noticing and reporting. Very very few people validate CSS... v.s. Few validate HTML.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 6 months ago #21378 by mwstahl11706z
Replied by mwstahl11706z on topic Re:Login Module Fails CSS Validation
Great job, Beat. I was surprised to find out about the rarity of validation efforts. A lot of cross-browser compatibility questions and problems would be eliminated if 3rd party developers paid a little more attention to them in the code drafting process.

If you didn't unearth them in the course of this fix, there are a small number of similar, and apparently straightforward errors that come up on the registration page. I'll be taking a crack at them directly, and will post any fixes I'm able to make so that they too can hopefully be fixed in the next release.

Great product of use by all. Good luck!

17 years 6 months ago #21382 by beat
Thanks.

You would be surprised to know the amount of validation work done on CB. It's not hours or days, but weeks... So this small inline CSS flag was a forgetting more than

The CB forms (registration and user edit) itself don't validate XHTML 1.0 trans yet, because it uses a private attribute, but which doesn't interfer with browsers, as it's standardized that unknown parameters should be ignored ;)

This is historical stuff (you maybe don't know that CB has been around even before Mambo 4.5.0, years back), and the validation and fields part will be rewritten completely in one of the next 2 releases.

We have taken the decision to stabilize, and not to rewrite that sensitive part between RC2 and 1.0 stable, in order to get 1.0 stable out without a RC3.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn