Upload procedure for CB captcha makes no sense

14 years 8 months ago #106084 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:never mind
dctrpl I have a few suggestions for you.

1. Be polite. We all get frustrated sometimes, but being rude and YELLING WITH CAPS isn't going to make anyone want to help you. I wouldn't have thought it to be out of line for Rapunzl to refuse to help you or tell you to get lost. Rapunzi does not make money or get paid. She's a volunteer, spending HER valuable time helping people like you, who are rude.

2. Use the SEARCH function. Your questions have probably already been answered here many times. Do a little reading and research. Usually errors like this are because you are trying to use the wrong installer (like the joomla extension installer rather than the CB plugin installer) or you are trying to install incompatible versions of one plugin to a different version of joomla/cb. The captcha description in the downloads which you are using says [1.0] and you are using CB [1.2.x]...

3. It is not unreasonable for the CB Team to make some money via subscriptions or special releases to doc subscribers. They still offer the core of CB for free, but try to raise some funds in other ways to support their costs and time. I've developed tinker-toy level joomla/cb extensions and spent hundreds of hours on them. The developers of CB have no doubt spent tens of thousands of hours of their time to give you a product which is "FREE." I gladly pay them the $40 a year for my doc sub. I've benefited greatly from my ability to use CB to build web sites and make money off them. The least I can do is send them a few bucks a year for their time, effort and expenses.

Post edited by: mediaguru, at: 2009/07/25 21:13

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #106103 by Rapunzl
ralfeez wrote:

Okay I will bite, I need to upload this also. I am in the same situation where the plugin will not load.
PHP 5.2.5
Joomla 1.5.8
CB 1.2 RC4
Error: Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.
Browser version: Firefox 3.0.12

Anything else needed?
thanks,
Ralph

Post edited by: ralfeez, at: 2009/07/25 15:02

Ralph, your problem may be solved the same (using CB Plugin Manager to install instead of Joomla Install/Uninstall or using the 1.5-compatible version available to doc subscribers) or it may be that you're using an obsolete version of CB. Please check the minimum requirements and upgrade to 1.2.1 as soon as possible. There are tons of fixes contained in 1.2.1 that are not in RC4.

Post edited by: Rapunzl, at: 2009/07/26 04:52

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

14 years 8 months ago #106126 by dctrpl
mediaguru - where was I impolite? Don't call me rude when I have not been rude. That in itself is a wee bit rude!:laugh:

And don't cry for Rapunzel's precious time. I never specifically asked her for her time and if she wants to go to the beach instead of helping me, that's fine with me. She owes me nothing at all.

Your suggestion that the CB project is some kind of charity being operated for my benefit is laughable. It's clearly a commercial operation. Again - no problem with that, we've all got businesses but don't try to make me believe that I am somehow the fortunate benficiary of a team of saints.

Meanwhile, thanks to bullfn33 for actually giving some relevant help which he or she managed to do in a remarkably compact way.

And happy birthday to everyone!

14 years 8 months ago #108503 by willyhuc
I'm having the exact same issue with captcha, autowelcome and profile gallery. All the other CB plugs have worked fine. But none of these extensions will install and work correctly. They appear to install, but then I get the same message that direct access is not allowed. The plugin will show up. I can even publish it, even though I cannot access the parameters. Then it screws up the front end. When I unpublish and delete, the front end works fine again.

So, yes, I can sympathize with the frustration. Are there instructions somewhere? For another plugin, I needed to create a folder inside the plugin folder. Is something like that the case for this, too?

(Using latest J1.5; also using CB Plugin installer to upload.)

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn