Sample Data Suggestion

15 years 10 months ago #64721 by Terp
Sample Data Suggestion was created by Terp
I searched the documentation for 'sample data,' hoping to find out what exactly is loaded when I click the link; I found an entry on page 73:

"Using the CB Tools Load Sample Data option will create a new tab named Additional Info tab. This is illustrated in the following figure (Figure 31)."

And I think it mentioned the list will be added on a subsequent page, but I though perhaps a small half page section on what exactly is going into our db might be helpful for users:

Tab Added Successfully!
Schema Changes Added Successfully!
Fields Added Successfully!
List Added Successfully!

What got me thinking about this is on my test install, I had sample data loaded, so had the cool member list already created. I just installed on a site I am close to moving online and it was not there...was populating the fields when it hit me, perhaps the sample data loads the member list. ;)

I guess it could also go in the backend CB Tools Manager, too...either or, both, some combination thereof. ;) Food for thought.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #64792 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Sample Data Suggestion
Thanks for this good feedback.

Added text to backend:

This will load sample data into the Joomla/Mambo Community Builder component. Precisely, an additional informations tab (that you can change, unpublish or delete in CB Tabs manager) will be created containing fields for: location, occupation, interests, company, address, city, state, zipcode, country, phone and fax (you can then change, unpublish or delete those fields which you don't need' in CB Fields Manager). Also a users-list will be created, that you can edit from the CB Lists manager. This will help you get started quicker with CB.

Is that what you meant ?
Please correct or make clearer if something isn't crystal-clear ;) i'm biaised :D

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 10 months ago #64795 by Terp
Replied by Terp on topic Re:Sample Data Suggestion
We have a winner! :)

I would use information, not informations, but that is precisely what I was thinking...backend is probably better, as not everyone gets the documentation (and not everyone reads it, even if they do). ;)

Very nice, sir.

15 years 10 months ago #64810 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Sample Data Suggestion
Terp wrote:

We have a winner! :)

I would use information, not informations, but that is precisely what I was thinking...backend is probably better, as not everyone gets the documentation (and not everyone reads it, even if they do). ;)

Very nice, sir.

I will certainly update the documentation to make things clearer...

now if you can think of someway to get people to read the backend ... :)

15 years 10 months ago #64815 by Terp
Replied by Terp on topic Re:Sample Data Suggestion
nant wrote:
now if you can think of someway to get people to read the backend ... :)[/quote]

I thought most people, like me, would be scared to click on anything that says "install" something. ;)

I saw it and backed out of the screen until I knew what it was installing, made a total site backup, and then, keeping one eye closed, clicked the install...hoping for the best. :)

15 years 10 months ago #64818 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Sample Data Suggestion
Terp wrote:

nant wrote:
now if you can think of someway to get people to read the backend ... :)

I thought most people, like me, would be scared to click on anything that says "install" something. ;)

I saw it and backed out of the screen until I knew what it was installing, made a total site backup, and then, keeping one eye closed, clicked the install...hoping for the best. :)[/quote]

:laugh: but you are right, I would do same with another component !

Very useful feedback.

Typo fixed, and text committed to next version.

Thanks B)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn