#78 J1.5Dot (.) in username breaks SEF profile URL

15 years 5 months ago #78280 by flyingwombats
When any of my users have a dot in their username, their profile URL doesn't work and I get this error:

Not Found

The requested document was not found on this server.

It seems like it is bypassing the Apache rewrite rule and is being interpreted as a file because of the dot and hence not finding the file:

www.site.com/account/userprofile/user.name

Interestingly, another user has used an @ in their username but it works as their profile URL resolves to their user ID eg:

www.site.com/account/userprofile/123

Also, usernames with spaces seem work fine eg:

www.site.com/account/userprofile/user name

Is anyone else getting this problem with dots in the username?

Joomle 1.5.7 (with SEF URLs)
CB 1.2 RC3

Post edited by: beat, at: 2008/10/31 14:46

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #78299 by beat
flyingwombats wrote:

When any of my users have a dot in their username, their profile URL doesn't work and I get this error:

Not Found

The requested document was not found on this server.

It seems like it is bypassing the Apache rewrite rule and is being interpreted as a file because of the dot and hence not finding the file:

www.site.com/account/userprofile/user.name

Interestingly, another user has used an @ in their username but it works as their profile URL resolves to their user ID eg:

www.site.com/account/userprofile/123

Also, usernames with spaces seem work fine eg:

www.site.com/account/userprofile/user name

Is anyone else getting this problem with dots in the username?

Joomle 1.5.7 (with SEF URLs)
CB 1.2 RC3

The @ is an illegal character within a url (except for login purposes in front). There fore CB can't SEF it, and in that case uses the user id.

Regarding the '.' I'm not sure where things fail.

The default Joomla and Mambo ht-access files do check for existing files and directories, not for extensions.

Maybe it's Joomla's 1.5 SEF which doesn't like a '.' ?

Your best bet is to find the file "router.php" in the com_comprofiler folder, open it and check how the '-' is handled. Maybe something similar has to be done for '.' ?

At least in there you can echo values and find/propose a fix ?

Also can others please confirm that issue ?

Putting this thread on my radar (#78) and subscription list :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 5 months ago #78397 by flyingwombats
Replied by flyingwombats on topic Re:Dot (.) in username stops SEF profile URL working
Thanks Beat!

I think you are right, the '.' either needs handling in Joomls's 1.5 SEF or in router.php.

Here are two examples of profiles that demonstrate the problem:

www.gearch.com/account/userprofile/wombat (works fine)

www.gearch.com/account/userprofile/Connie.x (doesn't work)

Can anyone else replicate this problem?

15 years 4 months ago #78675 by darklizard
I can confirm this issue.

I have just registered on a J1.5 CB 1.2 RC3 (SEF on) site with a dot in my username and my userprofile link doesn't work.

15 years 4 months ago #78679 by beat
OK, moving to identified issues forum.

Thanks for the report and confirmations :)

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 4 months ago #80237 by beat
This is not a CB bug, but due to following rewriting rule in the dot htaccess file of Joomla 1.5:

[code:1]RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.php|\.html|\.htm|\.feed|\.pdf|\.raw|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
[/code:1]

We got 2 options to fix:

1) suggest another rule
2) convert the usernames with the '.' in them to something without a '.'....

As 1) will be hassles, we are choosing 2)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn