CB Facebook Connect and CB Twitter Connect plugins

14 years 1 month ago #128125 by nant
kave wrote:

I'm currently a CB doc subscriber, in the CB readme I read that I'm entitled to access the CB Facebook plugin, which has recently been released. However I have been looking for it in the download area without any results. Anyone who know where I can find it, and please send me a direct download link?

Kave

Visit your profile on this site (just click on avatar in the login module).

See the Doc-Subs tab and select what you want.

Thank you for supporting the project as a CB Documentation subscriber.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #128168 by tinetto
I have a problem: the module mod_kunenalatest blocking the facebook connect.
It seems it's blocking the pop-up window that makes the connection to facebook.

Is there a solution for the problem?

14 years 1 month ago #128173 by stodd
I am not a subscriber yet, so I guess this is a "pre-sales" question.

If a new user clicks on the Facebook login to register/access my joomla site, can you tell me what info gets created during the automatic registration?

The obvious question is how the user's email address is handled. FB is notorious for not giving that up without a knock-down drag-out fight. Email address is critical for us for communicating to our users.

Additionally, we have required field (Location) for everyone that registers via the traditional Joomla registration. How are those types of things handled if a FB user uses this plugin to auto-register on our site.

Thanks! This looks really, really promising!

14 years 1 month ago #128242 by nant
tinetto wrote:

I have a problem: the module mod_kunenalatest blocking the facebook connect.
It seems it's blocking the pop-up window that makes the connection to facebook.

Is there a solution for the problem?

Please post this issue in the Facebook Connnect forum area here:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,showcat/catid,117/

This way it is easier to address and it won;t get lost in a hijacked thread.

Thank you.

14 years 1 month ago #128243 by nant
stodd wrote:

I am not a subscriber yet, so I guess this is a "pre-sales" question.

Guess it is a presales question. However, we are not really selling this specific add-on. We are offering it as a thank you item (along with 12 other addons) for our CB Documentation subscribers. If you are interested in supporting further development of your FREE Community Builder suite, then this is the time to become a subscriber. As of March 29th the subscription package will increase by 10 Euros. Even at the new price of 35 Euros for our yearly (12 month) subscription, this can still be considered a great deal (35 euros for 13 add-ons). This is your chance to save 10 Euros. Sales pitch over.

If a new user clicks on the Facebook login to register/access my joomla site, can you tell me what info gets created during the automatic registration?

Username, Name (First name / Last name), Avatar (if configured) and a dummy email address (which user can change later from profile edit).

The obvious question is how the user's email address is handled. FB is notorious for not giving that up without a knock-down drag-out fight. Email address is critical for us for communicating to our users.

Yup, this is still an issue with both Facebook and Twitter. Facebook does give a proxy address that doesn't really help because each user would have to individually authorize its use (and during testing we never got this to work).

Additionally, we have required field (Location) for everyone that registers via the traditional Joomla registration. How are those types of things handled if a FB user uses this plugin to auto-register on our site.

Actually we had such an implementation in place where the plugin could sync Facebook data with CB fields. However, we noticed (with the help of a Community Member) that the Facebook API in fact did not properly handle and enforce its user's privacy settings. So even though a Facebook user specified (for example) that his/her Country data is non-public, the Facebook API would still give the data. As the CB Team is very security and privacy oriented, we decided not to use the part of the Facebook API. The only thing I can personally say, is what most Internet users already know - your Facebook data is NOT secure in any way.

If you have setup your CB registration to have mandatory fields, then by allowing people to register via the Facebook Connect (and/or Twitter Connect) plugin(s), then you in fact allow such users to bypass these mandatory fields and immediately register and login to your site. The will be asked to complete these mandatory fields when they edit their profile of course.

This is how things work presently and I believe that bypassing the registration process this way is inline with what most users want. You can of course turn-off Facebook registration and just allow existing CB users (that have followed CB registration workflow) to later link this CB account with their Facebook account.

Thanks! This looks really, really promising!

We will be improving things but even as is, this plugin will increase your membership rate by a good margin.

14 years 1 month ago #128270 by mrappi
It seems like the proxy email would be more useful.
You mean to say that even if we got the proxied_email from the FB API then emails would not reach the users?
I've found this: wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Roadmap_Email
Where in the plugin code would we find the email field mapped from FB to CB?
Thank you

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn