CB Facebook Connect and CB Twitter Connect plugins

14 years 1 month ago #128364 by startercoach
I see the demo site is forcing a facebook user to select a subscription plan before linking. When I try this on my site the facebook user gets the message that "A membership is needed for access" without offering the subscription choices. Is there a setting either in the facebook app, the cb subs plugin, or the cb facebook plugin that will make this happen like it does on your demo site? I didn't see anything in the documentation. My CBSubs config requires a subscription to be selected during registration. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #128418 by nant
startercoach wrote:

I see the demo site is forcing a facebook user to select a subscription plan before linking. When I try this on my site the facebook user gets the message that "A membership is needed for access" without offering the subscription choices. Is there a setting either in the facebook app, the cb subs plugin, or the cb facebook plugin that will make this happen like it does on your demo site? I didn't see anything in the documentation. My CBSubs config requires a subscription to be selected during registration. Thanks in advance for your reply.

The demo site does in fact showcase the Facebook connect plugin and the CBSubs membership solution.

On a website without CBSubs you will not see the membership required part.

14 years 1 month ago #128500 by vamarra
I've installed the Facebook Connect plugin on one of my test sites and have been testing it. It is nice, and I really like the concept, and see how it could improve registration rate, but it really would be perfect if it could pull the email address into the user profile and save it.
I understand there are difficulties with getting this from facebook and that you are trying your best. I hope one day it will be possible.
Without the email address, I don't feel like I have a "real" member (they won't receive any notifications, nor newsletters) ... sure, they can update the email address manually if they want, but there is nothing to force them to do it... maybe a future release of the plugin could have a way to force anyone registering with facebook connect to enter an email address after they've connected. For example, users connecting with Facebook connect for the first time are redirected to their profile edit page immediately upon connecting, and they are given a pop-up messaging informing them that they should enter a valid email address and save their profile before they proceed.
Not sure if that is the best way to do it, but just giving a suggestion.

14 years 1 month ago #128505 by stodd
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply.

I know in CB you can specify the page to go to upon the very first login to the site.

For people logging in using the FB connect, would it be possible to set that "first time" page to their Profile page where they would have to fill out required fields?

Fully understand and appreciate the privacy/FB issues you guys are grappling with!

14 years 1 month ago #128553 by vamarra
I found something interesting when using Facebook connect on the site greennexxus.com.

When I passed through the first connect pop-up (similar to the Community Builder Facebook Connect one), I received a SECOND pop-up. It said the following:

Request for Special Permission.
GreenNexxus.com would like to email you.
Allow GreenNexxus.com to contact me at
my Facebook contact email address (my_email@address.com).

I had the option of choosing "Allow" or "Don't Allow" - I imagine if I chose "Allow" then the site would be allowed to retrieve and store my email address.

This would be a very nice to have feature in the Community Builder version :-) , along with an option to redirect members to their "Edit Profile" page the first time that they connect with Facebook connect.

14 years 1 month ago #128572 by mrappi
I've found where the dummy email is set in line 1061 of components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_cbfacebookconnect/cr.facebookconnect.php
I then tried to get either 'email or 'proxied_email' from facebook using cbGetParam, also creating a $ variable, and adding the field to the other ones in line 1163. Can't get it to work, I get a "please enter a valid email address" error.
What all changes are necessary?
I think getting the user's email (even a proxy will do) is worth an extra pop up.
Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn