Facebook connect plugin

15 years 1 month ago #92153 by NuMoon
Replied by NuMoon on topic Re:Facebook connect plugin
Sorry to butt in, but some users may find this useful...

This already works since 1.2 stable (as as far as I am aware should have worked before as well).

Users on my site are able to log in with their facebook accounts, whereby my Joomla will automatically create an account for them. Users can log in with either their facebook details OR their local account details once the profiles are connected (auto if you sign up via facebook, optional for those with accounts). The email verification is skipped for these facebook users only. Admitedly, it works better with JomSocial, where it will pull a few basic details straight into the profile, but that is not much of a boon in any case and Jomsocial is actually quite rubbish if you ask me. In any case a few of us users on the site have asked for CB integration and the makers are looking into it (though again it will only be drawing info from facebook to fill out feilds in the profile and avatar etc).

I use the JFB Connect module/component for this, which you can find on the JED. It is commercial, but certainly works, and has an invite your facebook friends bit and everything.

Though to be honest the reason I built my site is that I hate facebook so not really sure about it and might end up un-oublishing the thing. But this is not because it doesn't work, just because I don't like facebook.

Anyway, just thought the above may be of interest to some,

Best,

NuMoon

Post edited by: NuMoon, at: 2009/03/19 20:00

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 1 month ago #92159 by corsulian
Replied by corsulian on topic Re:Facebook connect plugin
And you have just made my day, week, and possibly month.

Just the fact that users can log in with Facebook credentials is fantastic for me. At least 70% of my users have Facebook accounts. My user profiles purposely try not to duplicate any Facebook fields so I couldn't care less about that. The invite thing is even better.

$20 for all that? That's totally reasonable.

15 years 1 month ago #92160 by NuMoon
Replied by NuMoon on topic Re:Facebook connect plugin
Ah cool, if it made someone happy it was worth posting after all :)

I hope I don't get into trouble for advertising

[Beat ;apologies if I have been bad, please delete if you think it is inappropriate content, however it is not my component and is pertinent to the discussion so I thought perhaps it is ok]

Best,

NuMoon

15 years 6 days ago #94703 by roshan2007
Replied by roshan2007 on topic Re:Facebook connect plugin
Hi

Can we please intergrate full OpenID login like this service.

rpxnow.com/technical_overview

It should also ask for a email address and pull down profile info..

I am using email as the login ID..

Happy to donate more more.. Just give me a timeframe and feature list and i will pay!

14 years 11 months ago #95693 by costis
Replied by costis on topic Re:Facebook connect plugin
Hi.
I just tried JFB Connect and that was the quickest $20 spent ever. My comment is that this plugin doesn't integrate with CB. There is also the fact that facebook doesn't actually share the email so you have to ask them to submit it and that defeats the purpose of having the facebook connect button.

The idea is to get registered user traffic and make it easy for them to connect with you. Having users with facebook account but no emails is like having your website open to any unregistered user. I personally need to build a database of people connected to my website so I can send them newsletters and offers.

That, for me is a major drawback.

14 years 11 months ago #95716 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Facebook connect plugin
Stay tuned here....subscribe to our newsletters to get some good news firsthand soon :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn