#175 CB list multicheckbox should combine search

15 years 1 month ago #85957 by KurtSteiner
ok,
i have a multicheckbox for users spoken language:

When i search for all users which speaking a specific language i would expect that i just select the one language i´m seaching for - for example german.

Now i see the result is much to low, becaus the result list does NOT include the users which have selected

german + english or
german + english + france or
german + france

I would prefear that the search function includes ALL profiles which have at least german and maybee more languages selected.

If not i would have a hard work to find all possible combinations.

Post edited by: KurtSteiner, at: 2009/01/20 01:41

Post edited by: beat, at: 2009/01/22 18:19

sunny regards from Germany

BERND (Kurt Steiner)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 1 month ago #86037 by KurtSteiner
:) bug or feature ? :)

sunny regards from Germany

BERND (Kurt Steiner)

15 years 1 month ago #86039 by krileon
You're using simple search. Simple search only looks for "IS". Not "Any of", etc.

You need to use advanced search to get the results you desire.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 1 month ago #86060 by beat
So it's a feature.

Simple searches are optimized for database performance.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 1 month ago #86159 by gchancy
Hey Beat -

I think there are problems with searching and multi-selects. I have a User List for Career Counselors. The list has a multi-select box for specialty of counseling. The top of the list is 'No Preference' on the search form.

See here:

www.careercounselorsne.org/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=usersList&listid=8&Itemid=61

The problem we have is that when a site user does a search using City, but no specified specialty, then the system returns no results.

There are two simple 'Yes/No' fields for which the 'No Preference' on search works fine. The problem seems to only occur when a multi-select field is involved. In that case, selecting 'No Preference' on a search means that only results are returned for profiles which have 'space' in that field. I confirmed this by setting some profiles to a specialty of 'space' and searching by City. Sure enough, they returned.

For purposes of simple search and multi-select fields, I believe that 'No Preference' should mean don't use this field as a search criterion.

Have you seen this problem before, and can we correct?

Thanks,

Glen

15 years 1 month ago #86255 by beat
gchancy wrote:

Hey Beat -

I think there are problems with searching and multi-selects. I have a User List for Career Counselors. The list has a multi-select box for specialty of counseling. The top of the list is 'No Preference' on the search form.

See here:

www.careercounselorsne.org/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=usersList&listid=8&Itemid=61

The problem we have is that when a site user does a search using City, but no specified specialty, then the system returns no results.

There are two simple 'Yes/No' fields for which the 'No Preference' on search works fine. The problem seems to only occur when a multi-select field is involved. In that case, selecting 'No Preference' on a search means that only results are returned for profiles which have 'space' in that field. I confirmed this by setting some profiles to a specialty of 'space' and searching by City. Sure enough, they returned.

For purposes of simple search and multi-select fields, I believe that 'No Preference' should mean don't use this field as a search criterion.

Have you seen this problem before, and can we correct?

Thanks,

Glen

Thanks for reporting back.

Yup, that's a bug, could reproduce.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn