Possible time-out issue

14 years 3 months ago #123133 by edwardpeck
Possible time-out issue was created by edwardpeck
I wonder if anyone can help me with this issue. It is made slightly more difficult because I am relying on the subscribers (bad tempered!) narrative about what went wrong.

The story doesnt quite fit together but I think it may be to do with cache and sessions settings and the remember my password functionality (BTW cache:15 mins and Session: 60 mins). One of you experienced CB users/Joomla 1.5 users might recognise whats happening immediately and enlighten me!

The site is CB 1.2.1 and provides non registered guests with a paragraph to see, and when they click for the full article they are asked to register.

This event occured when a registered user got a news email from us and clicked on a link to read the article. He reports (without the bad tempered bits ;-) )

- I clicked on the article in the email which brought up the browser with "to read this article click here".

- I clicked and found myself on a screen saying " you now have access to this content item".

- I clicked back to the previous screen and then found the entire article.

- I then went back to the mail and clicked to read the next article and found myself being asked to register or log in. Now it seems to be OK

The log seems to support the account until the bt about being asked to register the second time but the timing is worth noting:

10.01 Opened article file (by his account the version wth one the paragraph and an upgrade request.Is he logged in here?)
10.56 (the next activity!) He opens an access denied page which says "You have now access to this content item" (which is what you see when you try to access a register page when you are logged in).
9 secs later he opens a different and short article within the feature, and then a minute and a half later another one (we dont know whether he sees the full article on these or not but he mentions now everything is ok).

I should also mention that he doesn't complete a login and password at any point (since this would send him to a login landing page - an ad which I would see him open from the log), so we should assume in all this that he has clicked the remember me button on a previous visit.

I think therefore the issue is that when he clicks from the email to a page which requires being logged in to see the whole article, he wrongly gets the page which unlogged in people see. He then dutifully clicks on a link to the register now page which gives him the answer that he already has rights to the page. At some stage this error clears itself out.

Any suggestions why this error might have occured. What can I do to try and prevent it from happening again?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds