to delimit or not to delimit?

14 years 1 month ago #126577 by jakobe75
to delimit or not to delimit? was created by jakobe75
This must be such a simple thing but it has me baffled.

I have a field called Club Name.

This field is filled out optionally by the user
it displays in a tab on the right side of the profile.

however, the text displayed on the profile is teensy teensy tiny.

and needs to be BIG AND BOLD

but only this tabs text, nothing else on the page needs to be affected.

I was guessing that I need to use delimiter fields in some way, but I cannot seem to find out how.

most of the posts in the forum re: delimiters are pertaining to something different that what I am trying to achieve

I have delimiters setup on my cb menu tab
but applying the same code structure to this tab does nothing.

I am adding the code to the actual tab text description area...but nothing shows on the profile
except the teensy little text.

also, the manual doc was of no help explaining this.

I just need an example of the code that I should add to the description field to achieve this, or should it be added to the CSS?

suggestions, clarifications, examples, tutorials?

If at all possible please answer this post without any Yoda'esk type riddles.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #126619 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:to delimit or not to delimit?
You'll need to add CSS to your Joomla or CB template to accomplish affecting a fields values; such as enlarging the text. Please use Firebug in Firefox to examine the field as each field is given a unique ID, which I can not provide (as I don't know it for your install, lol). Once done use such field to add CSS such as follows.

[code:1]
#cbfv_FIELD-ID {
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: bold;
}
[/code:1]

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #126625 by jakobe75
Replied by jakobe75 on topic Re:to delimit or not to delimit?
yup cool thanks!

that will work for CSS.
But will this cause anywhere that field's text appears will be BIG and BOLD?

Is this also achieved this using delimiter field?

such as:

<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-size: 14pt;"><b>[cb_clubname]&nbsp;</b></span></div>

- I added a new delimiter field called cb_clubnamedisplay
- I added this new field to a tab called "Club Name"
- I add the code above to the field description.

positioned my tab and it appears correctly on the profile.

but now I have an extra tab & field on the backend.
(might be confusing for user)
So I choose to make the field non-editable by the user.

then I gave a message that just says , "hey this is your displayed name, it can be edited on the userinfo tab"

but I dont like having that extra tab in the backend
so maybe I could use CBs subs to hide it from the owner but let visitors see it on the front end.

am I doing this correctly?

14 years 1 month ago #126668 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:to delimit or not to delimit?

but I dont like having that extra tab in the backend
so maybe I could use CBs subs to hide it from the owner but let visitors see it on the front end.

CB Privacy plugin (a document subscriber plugin) will allow you to hide a fields edit display, so you won't see it when a user edits their profile. You could also use CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection in combination with a "dummy plan".

Best approach is to just use CSS to target the field specifically.

But will this cause anywhere that field's text appears will be BIG and BOLD?

No, not if you use hierarchy, CSS can go in stages so you can target a specific ID or Class at a specific location. Please see example below to have your CSS apply to the field ONLY on profile view (again firebug would help you here in finding classes/ids).

.cbProfile #cbfv_FIELD-ID {
}

You could even target just a specific tab of profile view with the following.

.cbProfile #cb_tabid_TAB-ID #cbfv_FIELD-ID {
}

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #126669 by jakobe75
cool thanks,
gonna give it a try here shortly

14 years 1 month ago #126705 by jakobe75
bought subscription for two reasons
the privacy plugin
and captcha

Privacy does not do what I expected.
its more for letting the user control other users access to their fields, not letting the admin control the users viewability /access to those fields or tabs.

Setting the field to user read only does the exact same thing

terminology is in Yoda'esk language
propose/do not proprose...?
Why cant it just use plain english?

havent tried the new captcha yet

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn