CB 2.0 ideas discussions

13 years 10 months ago #134042 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Re:CB 2.0 ideas discussions
I just came across this plugin for Joomsocial, which enables users to customise their own profile with own wallpaper and stuff: www.joomplace.com/jomsocial_plugins/profile-designer.html

I had such an idea mentioned somewhere in this thread already, so I wanna kind of bump my idea and show that users of Community Builder competitors (Joomsocial) have already those options.

But there is another idea: Currently there are only 2 settings for editing a field. Either the user is allowed to edit it or he is not allowed.
I would like to see more options and to be able to set how many times or how many times within one period (e.g. a year) a user can edit this field.
I also wanna explain why this is important. Lets say you have a dating community where users can set their own alias name. A lot of users use their age as part of their name. But this changes apparently once a year. So if the user would be allowed to change this name once a year, he could adjust his alias name according to his age.
Also it would be interesting in connection with CBSubs. A higher number of field edits could be allowed for those subscription users who pay more.

So with that new feature there would users would have the ability to edit fields, but admin could limit how often to avoid excessive edits.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #135540 by ndee
Replied by ndee on topic Re:CB 2.0 ideas discussions
Hi,

I don't know if I or somebody else already mentioned it but please take a look on field creation. Most fields are added as VARCHAR(255) to database - even if you only have a telephon field or something like that. This leads to break MySQL (see forums) because it has a limitation of approx. 65000 bytes of VARCHAR per table. If you have UTF-8 kollation (needs 4 bytes for each CHAR, so this is 255 CHARS * 4 bytes = 1020) you waste more than 1000 bytes for a field which may only needs 10 chars.

As all fields are stored in #__comprofiler table this limitation is a problem if you have a few plans with own fields for each plan (cbsubs). We have only 3 different plans but with 50+ fields each and have to manually edit the colums manually quite often.

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

13 years 10 months ago #135918 by KatoKalin
Actually you have received a lot of ideas and new feature requests for 2.0.
How about letting us know now what to expect from the new version?:P :P :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

13 years 9 months ago #137946 by KatoKalin
I would like to see CB reflect different user roles and levels over a membership lifetime based on rules and automation. With new Joomla 1.6 this could result in an awesome poweful social community system. Parts of it I have already mentioned in this thread.

To understand my idea, I would like to go through a membership lifetime cycle:

1. User just browses the site. He is a guest and has only access to limited ressources.
2. User registers for the site. But he has not yet been approved. He is something between a guest and a member. He gets access to additional ressouces, for example a ticketing system where he can discuss issues with his registration in case somehing in the approval process goes wrong. But no full access yet.
3. User gets approved and is now an officially registered junior member of the site.
4. Based on age, member time, userpoints earned or activity (see Alphauserpoints www.alphaplug.com/index.php/products/alphauserpoints.html) he cycles through various levels of his membership which gives to him or removes from him access to different ressources.
5. After some time he becomes a senior user, maybe with moderator previleges for the entire site or for specified parts (Maybe he will help in the user approval process, answers tickets, or moderate parts of the forum)
6. After special events (user reaches a certain age, userpoints or activity drops) the membership level decreases or gets fully terminated (eg. when the user has reached a certain age or has not logged in for a period of time). If set by admin, the account gets deleted or blocked. For a while the user still might be able to use the ticket system if there remain any questions regarding his membership (maybe he qualifies for a reactivation and can discuss it via the ticket system)
7. Finally the user becomes a guest again and my leave for another site.

This kind of cycle I would like to be able to execute with CB 2.0 with all the various features and conditions as mentioned.

Post edited by: KatoKalin, at: 2010/07/16 23:02

13 years 9 months ago #138107 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic File verification
Add support for file verifiaction mechanisms (or add something similiar by urself) to protect core file hacking by comparing hashes of files.

This component seems to be very promising: extensions.joomla.org/extensions/administration/admin-desk/12026

Post edited by: KatoKalin, at: 2010/07/18 15:51

13 years 9 months ago #138109 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Multi site registration
If you are running multiple CB sites it would be fantastic if a user would only have to register once but have access to all of them.

Therfor a configurable user synchronisation service would be great. It could work this way:

1. User registeres for the site
2. Once approved he can open a list of sites (prepared and configurable by admin)
3. On this list he can check the checkboxes next to the sites he wants to become a member as well
4. On pressing OK the sync process starts and the accounts on the other sites get created.
(When the user checks the checkboxes a Ajax precheck if the user exists already on this site would be great.)

Thats just a rough layout which does not include check for already existing usernames, emails and all kinds of error handling. But it shows the basic idea.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn