[SOLVED] CB registration linking another DB

13 years 8 months ago #138269 by sobotkaholdingsllc
[SOLVED] CB registration linking another DB was created by sobotkaholdingsllc
Hi, is it possible to be able to have a dropdown selection menu for an address field during registration using a list of addresses from another table? Would this require a lot of coding? I know a little php, but I'm having trouble deciphering how everything works in CB. Thanks for your help!

Post edited by: sobotkaholdingsllc, at: 2010/07/20 01:57

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/07/21 16:09

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #138303 by krileon
Yes, simply create a drop-down field with the web address titles then using a delimiter field actually render the web address field. Example as follows.

Drop-Down Values:
Yahoo
Hotmail
MSN
Google

Delimiter Field:
[code:1]
[cb:if cb_website="Yahoo"]<a href="www.yahoo.com/">[cb_website]</a>[/cb:if]
[cb:if cb_website="Hotmail"]<a href="www.hotmail.com/">[cb_website]</a>[/cb:if]
[cb:if cb_website="MSN"]<a href="www.msn.com/">[cb_website]</a>[/cb:if]
[cb:if cb_website="Google"]<a href="www.google.com/">[cb_website]</a>[/cb:if]
[/code:1]

Ensure your drop-down field is set not to display on profile. I suppose this could get cumbersome if you have A LOT of URLs. The alternative is to develop your own fieldtype plugin to do as you're wanting.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #138310 by sobotkaholdingsllc
Replied by sobotkaholdingsllc on topic Re:User Registration in CB while linking another DB
Thanks for the quick response Kyle! The solution you gave me somewhat works, but I think developing my own fieldtype would be best since there is potential for a lot of selections. I am setting up a property management website and I want the tenants to be able to register using CB and be able to choose what address they live at from a dropdown menu that pulls from an existing database outside of the comprofiler_fields table. If you can just point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated. I know you must be super busy. Thanks!

13 years 8 months ago #138321 by krileon
Best approach is to review the document subscriber file and ajax text fieldtype plugins as examples of a fieldtype plugin. Pulling data from an external table is definitely doable.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #138346 by sobotkaholdingsllc
Replied by sobotkaholdingsllc on topic Re:User Registration in CB while linking another DB
I'm not familiar enough with ajax to be able to implement it right now. I've studied the ajax text and file plugins today and think I might be in over my head with figuring it out. I need it done asap so I guess I'll have to find someone who can do it(and help me learn in the process!) Thanks for all your help

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn