CB 1.3 not for newbie

13 years 3 months ago #147956 by jdcrooner
CB 1.3 not for newbie was created by jdcrooner
I am not at all pleased with this extension.:angry:
Hours spent just trying to get it installed for one thing. Then after dicking around with uninstalling and re-installing, it finally installed ...sort of.
Then just when I thought progress was being made, following the directions to the letter, I can't get to set configuration.
Continually get a Parse error message in one form or another. Just like this last one:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/kirabokids/domains/kirabokids.com/public_html/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/plugin.foundation.php on line 894

My expectations of the ease of install and what this should, do have been ripped apart.:sick:
Sorry but this is not what I'd recommend to anyone who isn't willing to re-invent the wheel.

jdcrooner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #147959 by getrowdy
Replied by getrowdy on topic Re:CB 1.3 not for newbie
The program isn't that bad. Im expecting that it would be some restriction from your current host. Ive installed it a few times and haven't had too much of an issue. Who is your host? What version of PHP are you using? Im expect it has more to do with host settings than the program installation its self.

13 years 3 months ago #147961 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB 1.3 not for newbie
jdcrooner wrote:

Continually get a Parse error message in one form or another. Just like this last one:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/kirabokids/domains/kirabokids.com/public_html/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/plugin.foundation.php on line 894

The error that you are getting makes me think that the package you are having is either corrupt or corrupted at upload, or that there is a hosting issue.

Re-download from here CB 1.3, and follow the README_INSTALL steps. If your package is intact, your joomla installation too, and your hoster decent, it installs easily.

PHP 5.x and MySQL 4.x are prerequisites. But anything below is completely unsafe as not security-maintained since over a year.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 3 months ago #147980 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB 1.3 not for newbie
Also simply searching the forum before posting just with "line 894" would have lead you as very first result to this thread and to the reply and fact that you do not have the prerequired PHP 5 installed:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,143/id,147954/#147954

Fyi: PHP 4 has been completely obsoleted by PHP.net:
- End of life has been announced with " PHP 4 end of life announcement " on 13 July 2007 with stop of any security update from 2008-08-08 on:

13 July 2007:
"The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5."

- Last PHP 4.4.9 release has been made on 2008-08-07 with announcement that it is no longer maintained

Proposing webhosting with PHP4 is totally insecure and unprofessional over 2 years after stop of maintenance.

As it seems that there are still very bad hosters running obsolte and insecure php4, we will be adding a PHP 5 check at step 1 of installer to upcoming CB 1.3.1, and completely refuse installation in that case.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 3 months ago #148010 by getrowdy
Replied by getrowdy on topic Re:CB 1.3 not for newbie
Sick! I was totally right about the PHP thing! Just curious, is there a way for me to help out on support? I am trying... just not the best at knowing the answers yet.

13 years 3 months ago #148122 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB 1.3 not for newbie
getrowdy wrote:

Sick! I was totally right about the PHP thing! Just curious, is there a way for me to help out on support? I am trying... just not the best at knowing the answers yet.

You're certainly free to answer forum posts to the best of your ability. :)

Next release will feature a PHP version check to fail installation if PHP version isn't sufficient. So hopefully this should resolve such issues!

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.931 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn