Changing main domain for facebook application

8 years 10 months ago #265274 by jstuardo
Hello.... I will post here a question asked in Stack Overflow site regarding a problem changing the domain for facebook application.

Apparently, this is not an issue, but the fact is that I have problems, so maybe there is a problem with cb_connect plugin.

This is the question:
I have a site which allows users to register by Facebook. Associated Facebook application is assigned to the domain, for example, www.abcd.cl. At present, there are a lot of registered users. Besides that domain, if users connect using other domain, for example, www.efgh.cl, they will be redirected to the main domain www.abcd.cl.

Well... customer needs now that the main domain to be www.efgh.cl and the secondary www.abcd.cl. So, if someone enters in www.abcd.cl, he will be redirected to www.efgh.cl.

The question is, after I change all DNS matters, can I just change the domain in Facebook App? what about current registered users?

I have this question because when the site was under development, we used the URL dev.abcd.cl. I registered with my facebook account at that time. When we passed to production, URL changed to www.abcd.cl. From that time on, I cannot log in using Facebook. I receive the error: "user already registered".

Someone can help me with this, please?
---

Is cb_connect associating the Facebook Id to the domain used in registration process? When I change domain, a new ID will be generated?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #265306 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Changing main domain for facebook application
Just add both domains as valid websites to your Facebook application then it won't matter which they use it on. Domain is just to validate that the website they're using the API on matches the domain of the application. As long as the two match it's fine so the best solution would be to just add both to your application. To do this follow the below steps.

1. Navigate to developers.facebook.com/
2. Mouseover "My Apps" and click your application
3. Click "Settings" on the left menu
4. Add both domains to "App Domains"
5. Change "Site URL" under "Website" to the main domain

This should allow redirect urls from either domain to work fine. Users are tied to your application by a unique user id. They are not tied to your application based off domain. So it won't hurt existing users using it unless you deleted and created a new application in which case they'll have to authorize the new application.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 10 months ago #265534 by jstuardo
Replied by jstuardo on topic Changing main domain for facebook application
Hello... thanks for answering...

I have added the other domain, but when I click Save button, this error appeared:

"This must derivedfrom Secure Canvas URL, Unity Binary URL, Site URL, Mobile Site URL or Secure Tab Page URL".

It seems Website URL must be the same as the domain I am adding. So, I think I cannot add domains that are distinct to the domains added as the platform.

How can I add it then? what if I just replace the old domain with the new one?

Regards
Jaime

8 years 10 months ago #265585 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Changing main domain for facebook application
I guess they won't allow it anymore. In that case just change the Website URL to your new primary domain.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn