Subscriptions status and public release

15 years 3 months ago #83731 by brianrprice
Replied by brianrprice on topic Re:Subscriptions status and public release
Not to sound impatient, but it has been a couple of weeks since the newsletter was set up, and 2009 is over as of close of business tomorrow.

I'd like to wish the development team a happy new year, but I must admit I'm very disappointed with the lack of communication on the module. Our site has been waiting with baited breath for quite some time; AEC failed to work under 1.5 and the current CB, so we actually lost functionality with the upgrade. I'm afraid that we can't wait any longer; in the middle of January I must attend to another semester and will lose all development time until May. I had been waiting and hoping that the December release might actually occur in December, so I could get it installed before the new semester and before we lost too many subscribers. Sadly, and like many other users who have posted, I am very close to out of time.

I respect the balance between support and development, but as the presentation indicated, "too long and you have no users to support." Unfortunately I have users with AEC subscriptions expiring in December and no way to reinstate them without this module or an expensively coded custom fix.

While I deeply appreciate the difficulty in releasing a cash-handling module, having developed several myself in the early days of the commercial Internet, the lack of a release date or even any meaningful updates has made waiting for this module a very difficult proposition.

When it is released I hope it does well, but in a few days I must initiate a contract to integrate AEC; and once this money is paid, I can't justify double-paying for a product that may or may not see release in the near future. I am one of the users who would contribute substantially to a meaningful effort, but having been assured of a December release that has come and gone, I can't financially support the product if it doesn't have a realistic release time-frame.

I appreciate the efforts of the CB team and extend one final hope that we may see a release in the first week of January. Regardless, you have my deep appreciation for the kind of work you are trying to do. Best Regards for the holiday and for the New Year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #83764 by MADKing
Replied by MADKing on topic Re:Subscriptions status and public release
nant wrote:

You can't - as mentioned its a new newsletter - nothing has been sent yet - planning on first blast early next week...

Mhhh, two weeks are gone now and still no newsletter or no release. Honestly-when do you think are you release the plugin??

15 years 3 months ago #83769 by robertvb
Replied by robertvb on topic Re:Subscriptions status and public release
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Look, Mr. Scott, I'd love to explain everything to you. But the captain wants this spectrographic analysis done by 1300 hours.
Scotty: [thinks about it some time] You mind a little advice? Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want.
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah. Well, I told the captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
Scotty: How long would it really take?
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: [annoyed] An hour!
Scotty: [looks unbelieving] Oh. You didn't tell him how long it would REALLY take, did you?
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Of course I did.
Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

15 years 3 months ago #83770 by MADKing
Funny, but useless and unnecessary

robertvb wrote:

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Look, Mr. Scott, I'd love to explain everything to you. But the captain wants this spectrographic analysis done by 1300 hours.
Scotty: [thinks about it some time] You mind a little advice? Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want.
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah. Well, I told the captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
Scotty: How long would it really take?
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: [annoyed] An hour!
Scotty: [looks unbelieving] Oh. You didn't tell him how long it would REALLY take, did you?
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Of course I did.
Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

15 years 3 months ago #83815 by nzimas
Replied by nzimas on topic Re:Subscriptions status and public release
From the announcement newsletter:

CBPay 1.0 RC proposed purchase price: 100 Euros(will become 180 Euros once CBPay goes stable) - this price includes 100 bundled transaction credit units. If you want a price quote for unlimited-free transaction credits, then please contact us for special quote.

180 EUR to handle 100 transactions? Did i read it right or are these credit units referring to the "amount" of support one can get from the team?
In other words, can I install the stable version on a given site and use it for s many transactions as needed or will I be bond to 100? (this would look so odd that i prefer to believe i'm just misreading :D)

In any case, the price tag seems a bit too high, no matter how excellent the plugin certainly is.

Encrypting the code might also be a questionable choice. In my very own opinion, all apps which are built on top of the Joomla framework should be open source and released under the GPL, even if a fee is charged.

I understand that you guys have spent a great deal of time developing this goody. However, the biz model you have in mind can drive out potential customers with less financial resources, specially amid the greatest financial crisis ever.

I'll wait and see :)

Good look and happy 2009!

Professional Website: www.bittingbits.com

15 years 3 months ago #83822 by MADKing
I think it is misspelled because in the newsletter says "1 unit has a 10 Euro-cents price tag" but 100 units are not 100 Euro but 10, think must be 1000 units for now 100 Euro. If not, then it is f... expensive and I am going to SE for that price.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn