[SOLVED] Migrate Users From Old Installation To New One

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #151211 by GoremanX
I have a website at friendlyphotozone.com running CB 1.2.3.

For the last few months, I've been developing an updated version of the site at dev.friendlyphotozone.com (which resides on a different server at a different IP address). This new site runs CB 1.3.1.

Now it's almost time to go live with the new site. Content has been synchronized, and everything looks/works great. But while I was developing the new site, new members joined at the previous site.

How do I transfer these users to the new site? I need to transfer their Joomla accounts and any/all CB settings they might have, as well as their connections.

Once all users are synchronized, I plan to just change the new server's IP address to the old one so that the new site seamlessly takes the place of the old one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #151222 by heyai
There is a tool called CBjuice which you could use to export/import CB data.
Alternatively you could synchronize the two databases (e.g. my provider has a file transfer and database transfer function). If that can't be done you might have to go through the database, find the new user IDs and export the corresponding rows in all the database tables ...

edit: not sure if the CB database structure was changed between the two versions you use. If so, you'd need to upgrade the old site before extracting database rows, same goes for any plugins or extensions which might have changed the database structure ... *steps back to let the professionals answer*

hey-ai - the community for asian guys and non-asian girls

The search bar is your friend, not just decoration!
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon, GoremanX

13 years 3 months ago #151264 by krileon
Heyai is spot on. You'll need to first upgrade your old site to 1.3.1. Once done you can use CB Juice to export your users. You then use CB Juice to import them into your new site. There's no alternative aside from the painful task of manually migrating users (direct database import/exports).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GoremanX

13 years 3 months ago #151277 by GoremanX
That sounds easy enough. The upgrade to CB 1.3.1 on the new site was mostly painless, so I don't foresee any issues upgrading the old site. My main concern was with the database differences between the two versions.

Thanks!

13 years 3 months ago #151592 by GoremanX
Here's some feedback on how it worked out using CB Juice (latest version, beta 10):

First, I had to make sure both installations included the exact same fields. I had deleted a field on the new installation which was still present on the old one, and I had to recreate it (with the exact same name) to import the user list from the old site.

CB Juice allows me to either add missing users, or update all users. I started by adding the missing users. That mostly worked, but the passwords were not carried over properly. I needed to reset those manually and have the members set them again.

Then I updated all users so that any profile changes they made while I was developing the new site would be carried over. That turned out not to be such a good idea. All changes got carried over fine, but each and every user's name (their real name, not their username) got wiped out. They all became blank. I was able to restore those from the database, but it took a long time.

All the users are carried over now, and we can launch the new site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn