Feature requests: force users/block group creation

13 years 3 weeks ago #159293 by krileon
The feature request adds a drop-down field to registration to allow newly registered users to select a group or groups to auto-join. Why do you need to force every user on registration to join groups? You can forcefully add users to groups from backend.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #159338 by iceman12321
Yes, I understand that...however I cannot go through every Male member of my website and manually force them into the male group. I have thousands of members. No one has enough time to do this. Rather than call these "groups," the concept might be easier to grasp if I just call them "categories."

The groups on my website have a function, but not like a typical group. Instead, they are there to simply organize and categorizes the members. I have a module that uses GroupJive and spits out a pretty product for each group. Why can't we make this feature more useful and give us the option to auto-join/force our users to join the group rather than having them being *allowed* to do it. They are allowed to join groups with the first version of GroupJive. This isn't necessarily a feature, but rather just makes it a little bit easier for members to join groups. This doesn't force users to join the certain groups.

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #159357 by krileon
I see, lol, you guys are absolutely killing me with feature requests. At any rate I can't deny the highly neat possible implications of such a feature. Although it can easily be done with a new plugin it would be best to be a part of the core. I better understand your request now and have made a feature ticket to be implemented with 2.3. Please note you are not an active subscriber and will not have access to any release of GJ 2.x unless subscribed.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2459

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: justmebg

13 years 3 weeks ago #159384 by justmebg
I'll give you a good example of some 'neat' ways this can be applied. I have a community site for private sperm donation, where donors and recipients look for and meet each other. Kind of like a social dating site, only for making babies.

I have several functions that rely on users being in one group or another from the point of registration.

1 - My users rely heavily on proximity searches. I use a third party CB geocoding module to show a map of users (Geommunity), and one of their cool features is to show a map of users based on group membership (I just got the developer to update this to work with GJ2.0) This is SUPER helpful for women who are looking for a donor as they can visually see what donors are closest to them on the map. Obviously this map doesn't work if the users aren't added as soon as they register

2 - I have private groups set up, one for women and one for donors, so they can ask questions without the "other half" seeing them. This is important especially for the ladies, and I want them in the group right away so they know it exists. Many of them come in with questions as to whether it's even something they would consider and just want to talk to other women.

Beth G

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #159386 by krileon
No worries, have already begun the integration. If you're familiar with incubator projects such as CB Queries or CB Redirect it'll work in a similar fashion. You'll be able to select a CB trigger to act on, what user group to act on, if is conditional based off a field value, etc.. It'll support group joining and creation as well as category creation completely automated (creation will only support supplying name and description, rest will use default values). Will be packed with release 2.3.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

13 years 3 weeks ago #159417 by iceman12321
Krileon,

You're the man. I know I'm not an active subscriber, however I was hoping and waiting for this feature and then once it was released, I would take the plunge since this is mainly what I'd be using. Thanks again Krileon. Justmebg described it pretty well. Main concept: "...doesn't work if the users aren't added as soon as they register."

Male and female. Two different choices on registration. Create two different groups (in the backend). When they choose Male or female when they register, they are automatically put into the correct group.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn